KNOW YOUR RIGHTS!
Families First and North Country Legal Services invite you to learn what your rights are and how to protect your rights in these important areas of the law. All welcome. Free of charge. Refreshments served.
All trainings will be held the first Monday of each month, 10 am - noon, at FAMILIES FIRST, located on Water Street next to the Post Office in Elizabethtown.
Monday, Feb. 7 FAMILY LAW
10 am - noon - how do I get custody of my children?
- do I have to pay child support even if I lose my job?
- how can I get an Order of Protection?
- how do I get visitation with my child/grandchild?
- what should I do if I am being investigated for neglect?
Monday, March 6 PUBLIC ASSISTANCE/SSI
10 am - noon - how do I qualify for disability benefits?
- what can I do if my benefits get cut off or reduced?
- do I have to work for my benefits?
- what is medicaid spend down?
- will I get cut off if I receive Safety Net benefits for more than two years?
Monday, April 3 EDUCATION RIGHTS
10 am - noon - what can I do if my child gets suspended from school?
- what can I do if I want my child given extra help or
resources at school?
- what are my rights at a CSE meeting?
- what is important about my child's IEP?
- if my family moves from the district, can I still send my child to school there?
Monday, May 1 TENANT/PROPERTY RIGHTS
10 am - noon - what can I do if my landlord does not make repairs?
- what are the disadvantages of a land contract?
- can I leave after 6 months if I have a one year lease?
- do I have to leave if my landlord gives me an eviction notice?
- what happens if I do not pay my property taxes?
Monday, June 5 CONSUMER LAW/BANKRUPTCY
10 am - noon - what can I do about these threatening letters from creditors?
- can a creditor take my home, car or salary from me?
- can a creditor take my social security benefits from me?
- does bankruptcy erase all of my debts?
For more information about the trainings, please contact: North Country Legal Services at 1-800-722-7380 or Families First at 873-9544.
If you have a legal question or concern, an attorney from North Country Legal Services is available to provide free legal assistance the first and third Monday of each month from 10 am to 3 pm at the Hand House, River Street (across from the library), Elizabethtown, New York, 873-3287. North Country Legal Services, an AAN member, is willing to provide replications of these "Know Your Rights" sessions by video conference to member sites. If interested, please contact Peter Racette at 518-563- 4022 extension 18 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. If AAN members are interested in trainings on other legal topics, suggestions are welcome.